Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My Reflection- Areej Jahangir

I think this project was a great experience and helped me explore another area of science that I only knew a little about previously and I ended up actually enjoying it. From this project I learned a lot more about what role different electrical components could play in an electronic and how even the same electronic component has slightly different variations. I found the most challenging part of this project to be the part about explaining the circuit and how the Joystick functions. However after doing all the work on it, I also found it to be the most interesting part of the project. I feel that it taught me a great lot and it gives me an advantage to many other students in other schools who won’t necessarily learn all of this. This helps me a lot because I know I love math and science and would like to go into sciences. This opened me up to a new topic that I hope to study in University. From this project I also learned about what makes different materials more suitable for a certain product or for a certain component of the product. I learned this because the Joystick had a casing of plastic but had metal parts inside; this allows the product to be lightweight, not very fragile but also not sensitive to corrosion. Throughout I think this was a great project and enjoyed doing it very much. I hope to have a project like this again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proposal for PS1 Controller

What product will you study?

We will study a PlayStation 1 Controller


What brand?

The brand is Sony.

What is your product designed to do?

The product is designed to control the actions of a character in a video game.

Why did you decide to choose it?

We chose it in order to see what parts allow the controller to make the characters function. Also, in order to see why Sony chose the parts they did in order for the controller to work.

What circuitry components do you think you will have to learn about to understand your product?

We will probably have to learn about transistors, diode, circuit board, controls, capacitor, conduction, protection, and insulation.

Upon doing research and finding pictured of the parts, we found a diagram of how the analog stick works. There is also both a circuit board and a printed circuit board. We also need to understand what makes the buttons pressure-sensitive, and we need to find out why the controllers are able to vibrate.

What materials is it made out of?

The controller is made out of mostly of plastic for the outside with some metals and alloys for the inner components such as the circuit board.